Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Yeer O not Guy Row


Istanbul was once Constantinople.  Not that I really care, I just thought I'd share a little information on the home of the Gyro.  That's "yeer o" for the pronunciation-ally challenged.  This isn't really a traditional recipe since traditionally the meat would be cooked on a vertical spit.  I suppose I could have achieved some horizontal, half assed, representation but even giving 50% was too much for me.  I used thin cut sirloin tip strips and cooked it on the stove, even though the recipe says to grill it.  That requires walking outside and we're trying to exude as little effort as possible.  Here's the recipe I used.  
Yeer O  




This is the stuff for the marinade.  I doubled up on the garlic, to hinder vampire attacks.  Everything went into the blender and then in a Ziplock bag.




Marinade for 2 hours. During which you'll properly utilize your time.  In other words, stop being a lazy sack of crap and make the Tzatziki sauce.




Here's what you'll need.  Note, I didn't have any apple cider vinegar and there was no way in hell I was going to the store.  I was well past the .08 drinking and driving limit.  I did, however, have white wine vinegar which worked just fine.  By the way, that's NOT a dildo on the cutting board.  It's a cucumber.  Want proof?




Do dildos have seeds?  I didn't think so!  To remove the seeds, just simply scrap out with a spoon.  Then everything goes in the blender and turns into deliciousness for your mouth.




Once meat is marinated chuck it into a hot pan with oil and a sliced onion.  Only cook until the meat is no longer pink.  Not a second more or you'll have chewy meat.




Half your pita bread, add a little shredded cheese, warm slightly in the microwave and spoon in onion/animal flesh mix.  Do NOT forget the Tzatziki sauce.  In my opinion, this was by far the best part.



Ratings - ( a possibility of 5 ☆'s )

Cost - ☆.5  If you plan correctly and have your kitchen properly stocked this won't be too expensive at all.  The meat I used was left over from when I made Phillys earlier in the week.  Planning out your meals and buying in bulk will always save you money in the long run.  There is always Soy sauce, garlic and sour cream in my fridge, I have a decent spice collection and there are always onions in my pantry.  Like I said I didn't have cider vinegar but I did have white wine vinegar which worked great.  I only had to purchase the pita bread and the cucumber.  When planning out your meals try to make meals that have a few of the same ingredients.  If you have to buy mushrooms for one dish, plan another meal later in the week that also uses mushrooms. This will lower your money spent and avoid food going bad.


Difficulty - ☆☆.5  Just like the meat for the Phillys, cutting this meat sucked ass.  However, making the sauce and marinade were crazy easy.  Just dump into a blender!


Taste - ☆☆  I really enjoyed this.  I'm not really sure how "authentic" it tasted but it certainly was good. I especially enjoyed the Tzatziki.  I wasn't too keen on the pita bread though.  I think it would have been 100 times better on warm garlic naan.

Clean up - ☆ One cutting board, knife, large spoon, blender, pan, cookie sheet.  All dishwasher safe.

This was a special request from Jeff Henry.  You can thank him by checking out his awesome page There I 

 
Happy Porking People!




No comments:

Post a Comment